Sunday, 7 August 2011

Handmade Monday 28: Stocking complete and bunting achievement

So we're on Handmade Monday 28, and I'm updating you on my son's Christmas stocking...yes I'm early with it, but wanted to get it done and out of the way so I can worry about everyone else's presents (his are bought and ready - just need to decide on a 1st birthday one for January now!).  Also, starting early meant lots of spare time if something went wrong.

I started with some online instructions, but needless to say took something from each and ended up doing my own thing (meant the lining initially got sewn on the wrong way so had to unpick and redo).  My mini sewing machine broke while I was making the bunting (see below), so I had to make it by hand.  I really enjoyed making it - hopefully Nathaniel will be really pleased to have his own handmade stocking when he's older and it'll become part of the Christmas tradition.

I'm really pleased with it.  Ok, so it's not the best finishing, and I have a lot of blank spaces on one side, but for a first go it's great.  And as it's lined, hopefully it'll last forever.

This weekend also saw my handmade bunting being used at the big family party.  I wish I'd had more time to use all the fabric I'd got as we could have done with a bit more of it, but it looked very professional and lots of people commented on it.  It'll also be helpful for future parties and hopefully Nathaniel's christening later in the year.

12 comments:

  1. Brilliant bunting and Nathaniel will love his stocking... now, the most important thing is to remember where you will store it, I can just see the panic on your face on Christmas Eve as you turn the house upset down looking for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stocking is lovely but you've just scared me by how prepared you are for christmas! As a little girl I had a decorated christmas pillowcase, I got quite upset when mum forgot to put it out one year, despite being a teenager! I love the bunting too, must have taken you ages. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha Ros, can just see that happening! I remember buying a present really early, storing it, and then finding it about 2 years later

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the xmas stocking! keep up the good work, the effect will be stunning. i also started my early christmas designs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stocking is very nice. I can see it filling up with lots of sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely stocking and lovely bunting too. Now you need a big box or bag (handmade) for all your Christmas essentials so they get stored together. Harder to lose that way (but if you lose it, you lose them all!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on completing your stocking, especially with your sewing machine breaking down. The bunting looks great, this seems to have made a big revival recently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Stocking! Love the bunting too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the bunting and the stocking is fab, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Christmas stockings, the red and green are such Chrismassy colours. Your bunting looks great too. Well done.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything is wonderful, I especially like the stocking. I really love traditional things like that to pass down. I wasn't into making things like that when my boys were little, but I did buy them each one and I did give them to them when they left home. Well, not right away but when they were married and responsible enough to have them! LOL The one you made is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stocking will definitely become a treasured keepsake. Just don't lose it, I did and my boys never let me forget it. Very impressed with your hand-sewn bunting, must have taken you ages. Great that you can use it for family celebrations

    ReplyDelete