Monday, 10 October 2011

Handmade Monday 37: foodie and jewellery makes


It was my birthday last weekend, so lots of baking and cooking went on for a Jamie at Home party I hosted.  I found a mint choc chip cake recipe on Raspberri cupcake's blog, and as that's my second favourite ice cream flavour, decided to try it.  Always scary when you've got someone coming to the party who makes cakes for a business.  Was pretty pleased with it, but it was meant to be mint green and after the choc bits were added, the icing went a bit beigey!  It still tasted fabulous though.


I did nachos, home made sausage rolls, iced gingerbread 'cupcakes' and Nigella's trashy lime cheesecake which is my signature dessert that I know never fails.  The party was great fun, I bought lots of Jamie stuff (and got some great freebies), everyone loved the food and it was great to get my friends together.

I also managed to get some crafting in this week.  I saw circular rosettes in a magazine to add to vest/t-shirts customisation, but decided to add buttons to mine and a brooch back.  Not bad for a first attempt.  Am planning on making some simpler button & felt brooches to sell as cheaper options on my pamper evening stall in January and potentially on my facebook page too.
Anyway, that's enough from me today.  Check out handmade monday to see what everyone else has been up to.

10 comments:

  1. The food all looks (and sounds!) yummy! I'm sure the brooches will go down well on your stall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Brilliant first attempt with your brooch, I would be really proud of that... You are lucky I have just had my supper, otherwise I would be round with my doggy bag. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm im dribbling at the sight of that cake! mmmmm :) the cupcakes are so dead cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMmmm lime cheesecake, lovely. Great brooch too, I've just popped over to your FB page.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! The food looks awesome. Hope you had a wonderful time. :) I would love to learn how to make those brooches, I've never seen them here in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake looks delicious! Visiting you via Blogaholic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all.
    For Susie - the brooch was straightforward. Just running stich round the edge of a circle of fabric, pull tight to draw edge into the centre. Repeat with a smaller circle of fabric. Running stitch size will alter the rosette size/look. And stitch in place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the idea of chocolate mint cake! Maybe you should blog the recipe next week!!??

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should be able to click through to the recipe on Raspberri cupcake's blog. She has some luscious cakes to try

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cake looks - well just as well its only a picture! Love the little brooch too - you made a good job of it :)

    ReplyDelete