Saturday, 5 November 2011

Checking out craft fairs

I never realised there were so many craft fairs and Christmas bazaars in and around my local area before I started selling my jewellery.  I'm astounded.  Two today, one in a week in my next village, one that I've been asked to do at a school in December, one in a couple of weeks in the town hall.  Wow, wish I'd realised before I went on maternity leave that there were all these opportunities and got organised earlier, because once I'm back at work next year, it'll just be so hard to leave my son with someone when he's been looked after by someone else all week.  Weekends will be the one time I'll be able to spend time with him.

Maybe I'll look out any evening ones as they'll be more practical if less frequent and probably less available.  It would also potentially be harder to get sorted practically post work and doing bath/bedtime for Nathaniel, but I would have to try and work something out.

Anyway, I went to one of the fairs today.  It was in a local village church and is a fairly established one.  There was a great atmosphere, although I didn't see anything that fitted for anyone I needed to buy for.  Plus, as you do more crafts it almost makes you think as you see some stalls...well, I could try that!

There were 2 jewellery stalls similar to my type of thing.  I was reassured to see that my prices are pretty much in line with the one who was selling for herself, whereas the other seller I though was selling a little cheap, although it was for local schools.   Even so, I hope she was given all the materials (or was very philanthropic) as the cost of materials wouldn't have been covered with the prices she was offering.

I think I'm on the right track with my displays as well.  Trying to make things vertical is hard - I'm wondering whether a metal tiered pan stand would work for earrings and may trawl the charity shops for some glass cake stands.

3 comments:

  1. Time with your little one will be precious but don't forget your website

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another suggestion for earring display is an embroidery hoop with mesh fabric in it. You can just push the earring wires through it. Would be quicker than the printer's tray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea...so many alternatives for displays to make it all a bit more unique

    ReplyDelete