Monday, 28 November 2011

Handmade Monday 44: Squash cake & earrings

I've had some butternut squash left in the potato box for a while, so decided I needed to use it rather than feeding it to the pigs when it got a bit too late.  I saw a recipe for Orange Squash cake so decided to try that.

I love loaf cakes as they always turn out better than my round ones, and this was a no hassle cake.  No need to soft butter (always a pain for me), just vegetable oil, lots of grating.  Even the icing worked for once.
It was a bit of a bizarre taste (not as strong as carrot or courgette cake), but was obviously sweetened by the icing.  Worth doing to use up leftover veg, plus both baby and OH liked it so it wasn't going to go to waste.

I've also been making earrings - some to go with necklaces and bracelets, but also just some using findings rather than making a show of the beads only.  I love this swirly ones, but they're a nightmare to get the curls the same size and direction.
That's all for me this week.  Do go and check out who's been making what in handmade monday this week.

15 comments:

  1. those are really pretty earrings. Cake looks lovely - i tried Hugh F-W's beetroot cake once but was a bit toooooo beetrooty for me. Squash would be more subtle i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An unusual cake - as I love cake and butternut squash, think I might have to give this one a go. Very pretty earrings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice earrings and now I want cake! Don't know that butternut squash would be sweet enough for me but fortunately I still have a slice of coffee cake in the fridge so guess where I am heading after typing this!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the earrings, they would look so elegant... however I would not say no to a slice of cake... just a small piece please :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Novel idea for a cake although unlike you my loaf recipes are usually too wet. You have had fun curling and twisting haven't you, thye look perfect, very stylish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I read a blog that has cake on it I swear I gain 10lbs.

    Love those earrings by the way! Really sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Husband's and children, in my experience, will polish off things I wouldn't give house room to! Lovely earrings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd never thought of using butternut squash in a cake! Looks like it turned out really well :)
    - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cake looks good, although I just can't get my head around the idea of veg in a cake. Loving the earrings they look so delicate and pretty. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely cake. Never heard of a squash being used in one before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice cake and very simple elegant earrings - a good week then!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely cake and lovely earrings too! Yum to both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The earrings are so pretty and elegant. I too love loaf cakes so easy to cut not tried squash though

    ReplyDelete
  14. BEautiful earrings, I love swirly shapes. And the cake sounds delish, I sure do miss wheat flour. And it sounds healthy as well. Good job. :)

    ReplyDelete